20080109

HUMILITY

"A leader is best when people barely know he exists. . .when his work is done and his aim fulfilled, they will all say `We did this ourselves.'" (Lao-Tzu, Chinese philosopher)

I have observed many people in leadership roles. I have known tyrannical leaders, reluctant leaders, and inadequate leaders. I have also known excellent leaders.

I worked for a short time in a state agency office in Fort Worth, Texas. The director in that office was one of the finest leaders I have known. Mike molded us into a team, and he expected everyone to do his share. Yet he was a gentle man and a humble man. He was fair in his dealings with those of us who worked with him.

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 (KJV)

No comments: