20080106

CARING FOR THE SHEEP

As a small child, I enjoyed ranch life. I remember the times Daddy would bring an orphaned newborn lamb into our kitchen for shelter from the cold. Lambing season was always in the winter, so it was not unusual for one or more newborns to be snuggled in a box behind our wood-burning kitchen range.

When that happened it was my job to care for these lambs. Mother would provide warm milk in a baby bottle and I would hold the bottle while the lamb sucked it. Sheep are extremely vulnerable at best, and an orphaned newborn is totally helpless.

Jesus used the analogy of sheep and the shepherd to illustrate how God cares for His people. He said, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” John 10:27 (KJV)

”I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.” John 10:11 (KJV)

No comments: