20130115

FOLLOWING GOD'S DIRECTION

Years ago, I found myself without an income. I had labored for eight years as a minister of music and education in a church, only to be judged by some in that church as too old to minister effectively. After all, I was fifty-nine years old!

Because of the attitude of some of the members, I was left with no income. Fortunately, I had housing. My mother's small house in my hometown was available to us, so we made the move, not knowing how God would provide for us.

It seemed to me something like the experience of Abraham, who was instructed by God to "a place where I will show you." And like Abraham, God provided all that we needed. Within two months my wife and I were both gainfully employed, and our grandson, whom we were raising, was happy with new friends.

To add to all this, within two months a local church had called me to be a bi-vocational minister of music—even at my "advanced age." And, this has been one of the most rewarding ministries of my life. In fact, I am at this point still ministering to this great church twenty years later. Age? They say, no problem.

"By faith Abraham obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went." Hebrews 11:8

No comments: